BCN

In my opinion a trip begins already weeks in advance through planning, packing, scouting places to visit, budgeting, reading tips and of course daydreaming. My summer’s trip this year was a week-long visit to the beautiful and versatile Barcelona in Spain. As always, I began my trip early. This time, however, I had a nice twist to my normal vacation-fantasizing routine: I read a book set in the city. 

This was a very fresh and genuine way to discover the destination. It helped me form a certain picture of both the history and the present state of the city giving me a more personal look into the otherwise tourist-filled BCN.

The introduction for my stay was not the only good that came out of reading the book before the trip. At the very end of The Shadow of the Wind a map along with short descriptions of the places from the book is found. While walking around in the Gothic quartier, shopping on the Ramblas and visiting the Picasso museum I would squeeze in a location or two from the book. Also, while touring around the city and checking out the sights, I recognized places mentioned in the book such as La Sagrada Familia, Montjüic and Tibidabo. This was a very nice experience and a cool activity! I warmly recommend similar ways of exploring new places and will definitely try to incorporate it into my own journeys from here on!

This map totally gave me thrills; Just try to imagine me walking around smiling like an idiot hugging the book.

8 on the map. The Picasso Museum is on the street nowadays.
2 on the map. No real bookshop here but it was still clearly named for me.
11 on the map. Els 4 Gats is a really fancy restaurant-café -unfortunately I didn't get to dine here because our packing hadn't known to consider the dress code :P
Seeing the city and the familiar places from the book altered my picture of the city. I had thought it to be more town like and hadn’t realized the presence of the beach at all. Being there in July I also had much trouble feeling the cold that was often present in Daniel’s story :D This was a unique and interesting experience and I ended up falling deeply in love with Barcelona.

The narrow alleys were a perfect match for the ambiance that I got from the book.
9 on the map. The Barcelona Cathedral.
I had received the recommendation and book from Laura as she had just recently visited Barcelona and read the book only afterwards (as you can recall from her earlier post here). The read was a very welcome one. I loved Carlos Zafón Ruiz´s text and the story seems intricately built and was therefore so easy to follow. Even if you haven't been to Barcelona and aren't planning on visiting anytime soon, I do recommend reading the book. 

-Anna






You May Also Like

0 kommenttia